Yield: About 1 cup
• 3 to 4 garlic cloves
• ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted (almonds or walnuts may be substituted)
• 4 green chilies (less or more to taste)
• 2 cups packed basil
• Salt, black pepper to taste
• ½ to ¾ cup olive oil, and extra for covering finished pesto
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice or to taste
• ¼ to ½ cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
1. Pulse garlic, toasted nuts and green chilies in food processor until coarsely chopped.
2. Add basil, salt and black pepper
3. Gradually add olive oil and lemon juice, process until fully incorporated and smooth. (Begin with lesser amounts and add more to achieve desired consistency.)
4. Add cheese and pulse lightly to incorporate. Check for seasonings.
5. Place in a jar or covered container. Cover top of pesto with a layer of olive oil to protect from darkening. Keeps in refrigerator for several weeks.