From Wiener Kitchen’s Dave Derr and Jessica Rush, featured in the summer 2018 issue of KANSAS!.
- 5 pounds pork shoulder (70% lean/30% fat), cubed and chilled
- 1 2/3 ounces kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1½ ounces minced garlic
- 1 cup ice water
- 10 to 12 feet of hog casings
- Toss chilled meat, fat, salt, pepper and garlic in a bowl.
- Grind mixture through a fine grinder die into an electric mixer bowl over an ice bath.
- Fit the mixer with a paddle and mix for about 1 minute, gradually adding water, until fully incorporated.
- Sauté a small test patty and adjust seasonings if desired.
- At this point, the mixture may be stored in bulk form, pattied, or stuffed into casings.
- Grill, roast or sauté the sausage to an internal temperature of 165º.