The Zoom link to our virtual huddles will be provided via our TravelTalk Newsletter. To sign up for Travel Talk please email Kelli Orender.
August 9, 2023 - This virtual huddle is all about tourism advocacy. Join us for a presentation from TIAK's lobbyist, Natalie Bright. Bridgette will have a few updates and announcements from Kansas Tourism as well.
July 12, 2023 - The July Huddle is all about Wildlife and Parks. Join us for a presentation from the Kansas Dept of Wildlife and Parks where you can learn more about all our State Parks, including our newest one in SE KS. We will also hear an update on the hunting season.
June 14, 2023 - This Huddle will include an update from the Kansas Department of Education on the Sunflower Summer program and an update from the Kansas Historical Society on the status of the Museum remodel and the statewide historic sites.
May 10, 2023 - This Huddle will include an update from the Kansas State Fair explaining ways you can be involved and the enhancements to the 2023 fair. Also, TIAK will present a very important end-of-session legislative update including issues that affect the tourism industry.
April 12, 2023 - This Huddle is all about “Good Things Happening in Kansas” and will focus on 4 different projects and events that you need to know about. Join us to learn more about the Gravel KS initiatives from Lelain Dains in Emporia, discover ways to explore during the upcoming Big Kansas Road Trip from Marci Penner with the Kansas Sampler Foundation, see how you can participate in the Midwest Travel Network Conference being held in Kansas City, KS from Alan Carr with Visit KCK, and see examples of how you can share with your elected officials the value of tourism during National Travel and Tourism Week.
March 8, 2023 - As owner and operator of Fun Tours for more than 25 years, Brent Kalemkiarian has seen and experienced it all in the group motorcoach tour business. You'll gain plenty of that insight for your own destination and operation during this huddle.
January 11, 2023 - TIAK and Rachel Willis, Director of Legislative Affairs at the Kansas Department of Commerce will share legislative agenda updates. We'll also have an overview of Lobbying 101 and discuss Kansas Day.
December 14, 2022 - The Kansas Department of Commerce Office of Broadband Development will be joining us to provide an update with what their office is doing, including information on the State Digital Equity Plan and how you can help with FCC mapping. Plus TIAK will be providing a 2023 legislative preview.
November 9, 2022 - This huddle includes an important Election Recap from TIAK, and some announcements from Kansas Tourism.
October 12, 2022 - It’s all about the Kansas Tourism Conference! Come listen to the details you'll need to be prepared for next week. We're also making a few important announcements at the end that you will not want to miss.
September 14, 2022 - Luke Veneskey (email@example.com) with Smith Travel Research (STR) will join us to give a Kansas hotel market update on data and trends.
July 13, 2022 - This huddle will include a presentation from the Kansas Lottery on the sports wagering bill that recently passed and other important updates that you need to know.
June 8, 2022 - Brian Schultz, Kansas State Fair General Manager, will be sharing this year's fair details and how your community can be involved.
March 9, 2022 - Kansas Tourism gives an update on some of their upcoming marketing plans and details on the 2022 Media Event. TIAK also provides a legislative update at this important time in the legislative session.
February 2, 2022 - The Kansas Dept of Revenue joined us to share information about Transient Guest Tax (TGT) collections and SB-50 as it relates to Marketplace Facilitators. There have been many questions in the tourism industry about how SB-50 affects short-term rentals in your communities, so this is your time to get the answers from the experts. TIAK also shared last-minute details for the upcoming Destination Statehouse.
January 12, 2022 - Kansas Tourism presented details about the soon-to-open EDA sub-grants for attraction development. TIAK provided a legislative update and sharing details about the upcoming (Feb 9) TIAK Destination Statehouse.
November 10, 2021 - Scott Sewell with Kansas Main Street gave a short update on the newly released HEAL (Historic Economic Asset Lifeline) grant from the Kansas Department of Commerce.
Ethan Belshe, public affairs liaison for the Recovery Office, gave an update from the SPARK committee.
- October 13, 2021 - This Huddle is all about #KTC21. Learn more about the conference speakers, session topics, special events, and safety protocols. Plus discover how you can be entered in a drawing for To The Stars gear just by exploring Kansas on your way to Liberal. This Huddle will assure you are prepared for a fantastic conference.
- September 8, 2021 - This Huddles format is your opportunity to share with us what is important to you. TIAK and Kansas Tourism will be leading a discussion with you on what is happening in your community. We will be discussing topics like pandemic recovery, your challenges, tourism trends….basically all the things that matter to you.
- August 19, 2021 - Nathan McClanahan will be providing an update and answering questions for all who have a booth at the Explore Kansas Festival. You will also have the opportunity to meet the new State Fair GM Bryan Schultz. Both Nathan and Bryan will be available to answer your questions to assure this is a successful weekend of promoting travel in Kansas.
- August 11, 2021 - Dan Lara, Economic Development Representative for Kansas with the U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA) will be our presenter. Dan will be presenting very timely information for the Travel, Tourism and Outdoor Recreation Grants from the EDA American Rescue Plan.
- Follow Up Question - Can signage be considered as an infrastructure improvement? "The short answer is yes, signage would be considered an infrastructure improvement and therefore eligible for funding. However, in a practical sense, a project will be more considered more competitive if signage is a part of an overall larger project rather than just the project itself."
- June 9, 2021 - We are excited that the 2021 Kansas State Fair will be taking place! Join us to hear an update on activities and events from Ed Berger, Interim General Manager. Other topics will include an update on the 2021 Kansas Tourism Conference in Liberal.
- May 13, 2021 - Lieutenant Governor and Secretary of Commerce David Toland will be joining us so you can learn more about the Department of Commerce and Kansas Tourism's upcoming move. Be sure to have questions ready! Other topics will be an update on Kansas Tourism marketing plans and a legislative update from TIAK.
- April 14, 2021 - Topics include: National Travel and Tourism Week, Kansas Tourism's move to the Department of Commerce and a legislative update from TIAK.
- March 10, 2021 - Andria Godfrey, Vice President of Longwoods International, as she shares results from their recent U.S. resident sentiment study. Now more than ever the resident is a destination’s first customer and most valued partner. Do we really know if our resident see their home destination the same way we do? And how does the sentiment of our residents affect our marketing efforts?
- February 10, 2021 - The Travel Industry Association of Kansas (TIAK) will continue on with Part 2 of their Destination Statehouse event where you will be able to learn more about the Kansas Legislative session and important issues to the tourism industry.
- January 13, 2021 - The Travel Industry Association of Kansas (TIAK) will launch Part 1 on their Destination Statehouse event where you will be able to learn more about the Kansas Legislative session and important issues to the tourism industry. The Kansas Tourism Division will also be sharing more details on how you can be involved in the Kansas Day “to the stars” campaign.
- December 16, 2020 - Kansas Legislative Research Department on the current state budget, followed by a discussion led by TIAK and Kansas Tourism regarding the latest Executive Order to move the Kansas Tourism Division to the Kansas Department of Commerce.
- November 18, 2020 - Topic: An election recap from TIAK and a hunting report from KDWPT.
- September 23, 2020 - Secretary Brad Loveless will provide an update and touch on a little bit of everything - from hunting to state parks to tourism. After the Secretary's presentation, be sure and stick around for a BIG and EXCITING announcement regarding this year's Kansas Tourism Conference!
- 2020 Kansas Tourism Conference goes virtual!
- More information at the TIAK website
- Register Here: Please note that if you had previously registered for the live event we will need you to re-register for the digital event. Sorry for the inconvenience!
- CampIt KS App
- HuntFish KS
- September 9, 2020 - Topic: Connecting Despite Corona -- Managing Issues & Finding Creative Approaches --By Janice Person, Public Speaker, Consultant and Podcaster
- August 26, 2020 - Topic: Representatives from Humanities Kansas and the Kansas Museums Association will be giving us an overview of their organizations and resources available such as grants, educational opportunities, and virtual conferences.
- August 12, 2020 - Topic: David Toland, Secretary of Kansas Dept of Commerce on the “Kansas Recovery and Return to Growth.” Secretary Toland will discuss the state’s approach to economic recovery, especially as it relates to travel and tourism across Kansas. He will outline the steps taken at the state level and describe the future outlook for Kansas growth.
- July 29, 2020 - Topics include: Best Practices for Working With Meeting Planners, Hosting Virtual Conferences & Staying Engaged with Clients, 3 For 3 Segment - Creative Ways to Operate & Market a Museum During a Pandemic
- July 15, 2020 - Topics include: Exploring the Authenticity of the Tourist Experience in Diversity and Inclusion and 3 For 3 Segment on Sports Presented by Sports KS Members
- July 1, 2020 - Topics include: Best practices when working with influencers (with Sara Broers of the Midwest Travel Network and Travel with Sara), regional updates and updates from TIAK and Kansas Tourism.
- June 17, 2020 - A presentation from Kansas Tourism on our new marketing campaign, the unveiling of the new Kansas Tourism Conference logo, registration and grant information, and the next installment of our 3 For 3 series.
- June 3, 2020 - Featuring STR Research and "3 in 3" - three communities sharing innovative marketing ideas for COVID-19 recovery in 3 minutes or less