Tour Kansas...Your Next Great Adventure!
When it comes to outdoor adventures, people typically fall into two categories: those who do, and those who say “some day.”
No matter which category you fall into, your next getaway should be Geary County/Junction City. This small city of less than 25,000 is packed with walking trails, more than a dozen parks and countless fishing spots, thanks in part to its proximity to Milford Reservoir and Milford Lake, the largest lake in Kansas.
Visitors can enjoy tours of historic frontier buildings to learn how Junction City – and Kansas as a whole – were shaped by the rivers and railroads that snake across the grassy landscape.
There is something for everyone in Geary County; you need only change your “some day” to a solid date in your calendar!
We welcome all outdoor enthusiasts and fans of interactive history to everyone in between who should make this their next travel destination!
- Through the Gateway to Fort Riley - Visit the First Territorial Capital of Kansas and during your journey, experience a true look of military life form the 1800’s to now. You can also visit the U.S. Calvary Museum, Custer House, First Infantry Division Museum and may static displays of old military vehicles.
- Watch where live theater and performing arts take center stage in the beautifully renovated 1882 C.L. Hoover Opera House known as the “Jewel on the Prairie.”
- Memorials are scattered throughout Heritage Park where visitors can view the Civil War Memorial Arch, State of Kansas Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Desert Storm Memorial, Purple Heart Memorial/POW.MIA Memorial, Big Red One Memorial, Daughters of the American Revolution Memorial and the Law Enforcement Memorial.
- Discover the history of the 9th & 10th Buffalo Soldier and relive history as the Buffalo Soldier Memorial depicts a Buffalo soldier preparing to mount his horse.
- Go back in time to the 1800’s and visit the Geary County Historical Museum and witness the pioneer days come to life.
- “The Fishing Capital of Kansas” lies just Northeast of Junction City. Milford Lake is the largest lake in Kansas where many anglers can catch bass, catfish, walleye, crappie, wipers and white bass. With its open water and sandy beaches, it’s a great place for boaters, jet-skiers and sun lovers.
- Plenty of room for your next camping adventure in a tent, RV or one of the many available cabins around the lake.
- Below Milford Lake Dam is the Milford Nature Center and Fish Hatchery and is a must stop for any nature lover.
- During the summer, “Playball” can be heard at Historic Rathert Stadium. Recently renovated, the original 1930’s structure is now home of the Junction City Brigade baseball team, Junction City high school Blue Jays and the Junction City American Legion ball teams.
Your soul will be as filled to bursting as your stomach when it’s all said and done!
Outdoor Life Magazine has named
as one of the top 200
Communities in America
to live for Anglers and Hunters
Region: Heart of the Flint Hills
Contact Name: Geary County CVB Office