Recognized as the first stadium built on a college campus west of the Mississippi River, Memorial Stadium is the seventh oldest collegiate stadium in the nation. Located at the north base of Mt. Oread at 11th and Maine streets in Lawrence, it has a capacity of 50,071.
In recent years, the stadium complex has been the focus of major renovations with more than $30 million in improvements completed.
Construction projects at the stadium have touched on improvements for fans, players and coaches in all areas of the complex:
• The installation of permanent lights in 1997;
• Infrastructure repairs and a new concourse throughout the lower level with new restrooms and concession areas in 1998;
• A new home lockerroom, a pressbox which is three times larger than its predecessor, an elevator and the addition of 36 scholarship suites in 1999;
• A new MegaVision video board and the resurfacing of the track in 1999;
• The addition of a new artificial surface in 2000.
Memorial Stadium is dedicated to the University of Kansas students who fought and died in World War I.
- Other Museums: