Public relations is an extremely important component within the entire marketing program for Kansas Tourism. The ability to reach out and encourage journalists to convey the positive messages and interesting news and stories of Kansas has long proven effective. The power of such editorial coverage is most significant in influencing consumer travel-related decisions. Some of the key objectives of the State’s PR program include:
- Identify and maintain relationships with key journalists who demonstrate potential for influencing the national and international traveler to choose Kansas as a destination through print and broadcast publications.
- Monitor social media mentions, post/retweet through social network profiles and build relationships with local and regional bloggers whose audiences include the State’s targeted demographics.
- Through public and media relations services, showcase Kansas tourism and outdoor activities and opportunities.
- Establish Kansas Tourism as a spokesperson/source for journalists seeking travel/outdoor trend stories.
- Identify and expand communications with new media markets representing all facets of Kansas tourism, including outdoor opportunities.
- Secure placement of Kansas tourism and outdoor related stories in print, broadcast, electronic and social media applications.
Media Leads & Requests - We will provide media leads as they are generated in communications with journalists.
Independent Journalist Visits - As opportunities present themselves throughout the year to host carefully vetted journalists, preferably on assignments, we will contact you. This will help ensure the best possible experience for the journalists, for your communities and for Kansas Tourism. Fees: Expenses associated with hosting journalists (food, lodging, etc.), local guides and models, meeting rooms, etc. Transportation funding assistance for journalists is available through Kansas Tourism. Please review the guidelines for hosting media visits to Kansas.
Regional and National Media Events - These include hosted media events or hosting receptions at such events, desk-side meetings with bloggers/journalists and attending marketplaces that attract journalists writing and broadcasting for local, regional and national media outlets.
PR Newswire - Be included in our press releases. This service reaches thousands of media outlets, websites and online databases.
Story Ideas - Keep Kansas Tourism informed of new attractions, events, hotels, restaurants opening in your community. Put us on your PR database!
Clipping Service - We use a clipping service called Meltwater that allows us to monitor and search stories via Online and Social Media. Stories found that mention you are uploaded and tagged within your Simpleview account under "Profile" - "My Benefits" - "Press Mentions".