There's No Place Like Kansas Lemon Bars
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (do not substitute with bottled)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter, 2 cups of the flour and 1/2 cup of the sugar and press into the bottom of an ungreased 9-ny-13 pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until center is set and edges just begin to brown.
Mix remaining 1/4 cup flour and remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar with whisk. Add eggs, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Stir whisk until well-combined. Pour over partially baked crust. Bake 18-22 minutes longer or until center is set and edges are golden brown.
The bars will firm up as they cool. Cool 1 hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. These bars freeze very well.
Prepares 24 servings.