Cranberry - Strawberry Pie | Hays House
Inez Williams, a former baker at the restaurant, turned this classic holiday salad into the
restaurant's premiere house pie in the 1970s.
- ½ pound whole cranberries, frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ pound marshmallows, regular size
- ½ cup milk
- 1 (3-ounce) box cherry gelatin
- 1 cup sweetened frozen strawberries
- cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped black walnuts
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 graham cracker pie crust, frozen
In blender, grind frozen cranberries. Cover cranberries with sugar; let stand 2 hours. In top of double boiler, melt marshmallows with milk, stirring frequently. Remove from heat when marshmallows are melted. Stir in dry gelatin. Then stir in strawberries, cranberries, celery and walnuts. Let mixture set up in refrigerator until as firm as gelatin, usually overnight.
Whip cream with powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff. In a separate bowl, beat gelatin mixture until base is smooth. Fold cream into gelatin mixture. Pile into frozen crust. Freeze several hours or overnight. Serve frozen (do not thaw).