Public relations is an extremely important component within the entire marketing program for the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT). The ability to reach out and encourage journalists to convey the positive messages and interesting news and stories of Kansas has long proven effective. The power of such editorial coverage is most significant in influencing consumer travel-related decisions. Some of the key objectives of the State’s PR program include:
- Identify and maintain relationships with key journalists who demonstrate potential for influencing the national and international traveler to choose Kansas as a destination through print and broadcast publications.
- Monitor social media mentions, post/retweet throught social network profiles and build relationships with local and regional bloggers whose audiences include the State’s targeted demographics.
- Through public and media relations services, showcase Kansas tourism and outdoor activities and opportunities.
- Establish KEWPT as a spokesperson/source for journalists seeking travel/outdoor trend stories.
- Identify and expand communications with new media markets representing all facets of Kansas tourism, including outdoor opportunities.
- Secure placement of Kansas tourism and outdoor related stories in print, broadcast, electronic and social media applications.
Media Leads & Requests - Jones Huyett Partners will provide media leads as they are generated in communications with journalists. "Pertinent PR Leads" eblasts will be sent out notifying communities of opportunities
Society of American Travel Writers Central States Chapter Meeting - KDWPT will continue developmental planning for the 2015 SATW Central States Chapter meeting, with host cities to include Wichita and Manhattan. Many partnering and sponsorship opportunities will be identified and made available to communities and businesses as planning progresses.
Independent Journalist Visits - As opportunities present themselves throughout the year to host carefully vetted journalists, preferably on assignments, we will contact you. This will help ensure the best possible experience for the journalists, for your communities and for KDWPT.
Fee: Expenses associated with hosting journalists (food, lodging, etc.), local guides and models, meeting rooms, etx. Transporation funding assistance for journalists is available through KDWPT.
Media Training - Being able to communicate clearly and effectively with the media is an important part of public relations. Jones Huyett Partners will work with Kansas communities and organizations to identify and create overarching message constructs and develop key talking points and deliver methadology specifically individualized for the community/organization.
Fee: TBD. Based on individual community/organizational need
Crisis Communications Consulting - Turn on the nightly news and you are sure to see a crisis being played out in real time. Developing a plan for how you respond to a negative news cycle, events like a natural disaster, low game bird population or even an accident at your largest attraction, will help minize the damage that negative puclicity can inflict. Jones Huyett Partners will work with your community/organization to prepare your stakeholders for "emergencies" by developing a crisis communications plan, with talking points and action plans for an array of media scenarios.
Fee: TBD. Based on individual community/organizational need.PR Contact: Tracey Stratton, jones huyett Partners, 785.228.0900