What do you do with an old public wading pool after its usefulness has waned?If you are the folks in Salina, you turn it into a patchwork quilt pattern that can be seen from space. The bright colored design provided a unique place for my two boys to run, run, run… on a recent visit to Oakdale Park in that city. It was our first taste of the public art woven into the landscape throughout town.When I was younger, my knowledge of Salina was limited to the Bosselman truck stop and the Bicentennial Center. (It had something to do with college days and a Big 8 basketball tournament - - don’t ask). While both are quite nice, I had no idea that the area was home to a vibrant arts scene that creates a fun experience for families.
Recent Blog Posts
- Family-friendly Road Trip
- Finding New Favorites in the Flint Hills
- Northern Central Prairie Inspires Explorers of All Ages
- What Makes Kansas a Yearly Stop for Wingshooting USA’s Scott Linden?
- Fun Times in the Vines
- Walnut Valley Festival
- May 4, 2007—A Day Greensburg Will Never Forget
- Tanganyika Wildlife Park: A wildly different stop near Wichita
- “And the Winner is…” Inside the Wichita Wagonmasters Chili Cook-off
- Medicine Lodge rodeo celebrates ranch work, lifestyle and town’s history