When I heard roller derby is the fastest growing women's sport in the world, my response was "Really???". My disbelief stemmed from my childhood when I watched sports on television with my older brother and saw anything-goes roller derby where women brutally shoved each other so hard some skaters went flying over the wall surrounding the banked track. Had roller derby changed over the years? After discovering there are several women's roller derby teams in the state, I had to find out. So there I was, sitting at a Salina Sirens bout with Hubby. Happily, I skated away from the event with new enthusiasm for this action-packed competition. Here's what I learned about roller derby that changed my mind about the sport.
Recent Blog Posts
- Family-friendly Road Trip
- Finding New Favorites in the Flint Hills
- Northern Central Prairie Inspires Explorers of All Ages
- What Makes Kansas a Yearly Stop for Wingshooting USA’s Scott Linden?
- Fun Times in the Vines
- Walnut Valley Festival
- May 4, 2007—A Day Greensburg Will Never Forget
- Tanganyika Wildlife Park: A wildly different stop near Wichita
- “And the Winner is…” Inside the Wichita Wagonmasters Chili Cook-off
- Medicine Lodge rodeo celebrates ranch work, lifestyle and town’s history