A Buffalo Soldier monument in Fort Leavenworth initiated our recent trek up the Glacial Hills Scenic Byway. The monument pays tribute to the 9th & 10th Cavalry Regiments. These groups of Black soldiers got their nickname in the Indian Wars. Native Americans said they were brave and fierce in battle - like the Buffalo. Since my son is a huge fan of the Civil War era Cavalry, this was a great way to start an historic and picturesque drive up the eastern edge of the state.
Recent Blog Posts
- Family-friendly Road Trip
- Finding New Favorites in the Flint Hills
- Northern Central Prairie Inspires Explorers of All Ages
- What Makes Kansas a Yearly Stop for Wingshooting USA’s Scott Linden?
- Fun Times in the Vines
- Walnut Valley Festival
- May 4, 2007—A Day Greensburg Will Never Forget
- Tanganyika Wildlife Park: A wildly different stop near Wichita
- “And the Winner is…” Inside the Wichita Wagonmasters Chili Cook-off
- Medicine Lodge rodeo celebrates ranch work, lifestyle and town’s history