Competition, education and entertainment fill a full list of eventsWhen you’re making fall travel plans, you’ll want to be one of the approximately 350,000 people attending the largest single event in the state: the Kansas State Fair. The fair’s impressive schedule of events begins the Friday after Labor Day and lasts for 10 days at the Kansas State Fairgrounds in Hutchinson.No matter which days you attend, you’re bound to be fascinated by demonstrations, displays, exhibits and performances of all kinds. Primary fair attractions include:
- Competitions. Judges choose from the state’s best in everything from baking and breeding to photography and weaving.
- Education. Demonstrations, events and exhibitions explain processes from designing robotics and rocketry to sheep-shearing and quilting.
- Entertainment. Popular entertainers perform at the fair’s U.S. Cellular Grandstand. This year, see Daughtry, Kenny Rogers, and REO Speedwagon and the Little River Band. Plus, the fairgrounds include a world-class Midway with rides for all ages.
Still looking for more? There’s the Celebrity Grape Stomp, Exotic Petting Zoo, largest pumpkin of the season and Sheep Dog Trials. Clearly, there’s something for everyone at the Kansas State Fair!
Here’s more to enjoy during the action-filled 10 days:
- Watch the internationally known chainsaw artist A.J. Lutter at work carving.
- Catch a performance of comic hypnotist Ron Diamond. Using audience participation and comedy, Diamond entertains his audiences, while debunking myths about hypnosis.
- If horses are your passion, attend specially scheduled shows of Palomino, draft, quarter, miniature and pinto horses.
- Who’s best at pie-making in Kansas this year? Find out at the Judging of Pies.
- Be prepared to cringe at the Demolition Derby.
- Thrill at a live rocket show representing experiments done in the 1930s lab of Dr. Robert Goddard, father of modern rocketry. The show includes demos of Goddard’s early tests with liquid-fueled rocket engines.
- Pick a winner at one of the daily scheduled pig races.
Learn more about the Kansas State Fair, including a day-by-day schedule of events.Becky Blake is the Director of Tourism Division of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism, and has been involved in the Kansas tourism industry for the past 30 years. TravelKS Blog provides a brief update from Becky each week, featuring communities, events and attractions throughout the state.