Enjoy Expanding Lodging Options in Kansas
Whether your tastes lean toward metropolitan amenities or a lakeside view, Kansas lodging inventory is expanding and improving statewide.Wichita announces four new projects to enhance the city's lodging offerings:
- The Drury Plaza Hotel Broadview is concluding a $30-million renovation relocating the main entrance to face a spectacular view of a Riverwalk amphitheater, built by the city of Wichita. The hotel's interior is being restored to reflect the hotel's historic character and bring capacity to 200 rooms with a 9,200 square-foot ballroom, and a 2,200 square-foot meeting room.
- Brand new in June, the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Wichita Downtown is the city's newest hotel, with 131 rooms.
- The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport Northwest opened in May with 57 rooms plus 16 suites, some offering in-room Jacuzzis.
- The former Residence Inn, now the Hotel at WaterWalk, boasts a $2-million facelift. The 88-room hotel features pillow-top mattresses, new refrigerators and microwaves plus contemporary, soothing colors.
- In April, Hoisington welcomed the new Cheyenne Bottoms Inn & Suites, a 31-room property offering guests 32-inch LCD HD TVs and large vanity areas – ideal for visitors to the Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area and the Wetlands & Wildlife National Scenic Byway.
- Manhattan is adding a new Hilton Garden Inn as part of the Flint Hills Discovery Center project. Slated for completion in November 2011, the hotel will connect to a convention center, retail shops and parking. The Discovery Center will offer visitors a unique entry to the wonderful Flint Hills of Kansas, when completed in 2012.
- The Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism has a wide inventory of cabins available and is adding new cabins to meet popular demand. Newer locations include the Algiers and Meade cabins in WestPoint Campground at Eisenhower State Park. Each cabin sleeps six with a full kitchen, restroom/shower, table and chairs, outdoor BBQ grill, fire ring and picnic table. In May, Milford State Park added their 99th and 100th cabins.
- Kansas eagerly anticipates the addition of lodging at the new casinos in Dodge City, Mulvane and at the Kansas Speedway in Wyandotte County.
- Exciting historic property renovations are underway at the Historic Elgin Hotel B&B in Marion and the Hotel Josephine in Holton.
Becky Blake is the Director of Tourism Division of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism, and has been involved in the Kansas tourism industry for the past 30 years. The TravelKS Blog provides a brief update from Becky each week, featuring communities, events and attractions throughout the state.